Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Facing the new year with courage

Facing the new year with courage!

(3) 02 Jan 2008 'Be strong and courageous.' Deuteronomy 31:6

Dr John Maxwell writes: 'When I began my career I was very ineffective as a leader. My problem was that I wanted to please everybody. Making people happy was the most important thing to me. The bottom line was I lacked the courage to make right but unpopular decisions. How did I turn things around? By making small decisions that were difficult. With each one I gained more confidence and more courage, and I began to change. The process took me four years. At the end of that time I felt I had learned many valuable lessons, and I wrote the following to help me cement what I had learned: 'Courageous leadership simply means I've developed: a) convictions that are stronger than my fears b) vision that is clearer than my doubts c) spiritual sensitivity that is louder than popular opinion d) self-esteem that is deeper than self-protection e) appreciation for discipline that is greater than my desire for leisure f) dissatisfaction that is more forceful than the status quo g) poise that is more unshakable than panic h) risk-taking that is stronger than safety-keeping i) actions that are more robust than rationalization j) a desire to see potential reached more than to see people pleased.' If people-pleasing is your problem, you might want to go back and re-read those 10 things. You don't have to be great to become a person of courage. You just have to want to fulfil God's plan and purpose for your life and be willing to trade what seems good in the moment, for what's best for your future! And that's something you can do this year, regardless of your level of natural talent.


http://www.ucb.co.uk/word_for_today


Valuable lessons is what the word has taught me today and let me explain why... This morning everything started out all right with the exception of my youngest was taking his time to get to school. Finally got him into the car and took him to school - guess what no school today. Anyway that meant day care and having to stop and get him his breakfast/lunch. So off we went to the grocery store - down to my last $20.00 and have another 6 days to go (get into that later). Got his breakfast & lunch and got back into the car - I'm going to be late this morning - was trying hard not to. Got him to the daycare - hugs and kisses - lots he is a good boy and off I went into the cold, back to my car. Upon driving to work the person in front of me is slow, so slow and swerving - get the picture - I'm late, all of a sudden the guy swerves and low and behold a huge - and I mean huge pot hole, tried to miss it but my luck hit it hard. So now I'm not happy cause my car is only 6 months old now, darn more money to shell out to get my car aligned. Further down the road I notice the car is shaking a little, hmm the road or ... (yep guessed it flat tire). Man and it's only 9 degree's outside. Pulled into a parking lot - had to get off the street the area was not that good full of homeless people and all. Pulled into City Union Mission Adminstration offices, got out and tried to figure out where my spare tire is. Found it and the wonderful little jack that came with it - this you also need a manual to figure out how to use. Uggg, of course I don't have triple A, I let that lasped because I figured I had a new car. Now the laughs on me huh!!! Anyway, I ended up calling a friend - which I really hated to do as it is very cold outside and no one wants to be bothered by a phone call by some helpless person needing help. That was me this morning. The friend stated they will get up and be at my side very shortly, just hang on.


In the meantime a car pulled into the parking lot and a man got out and stated "having problems this morning let me put this away and I'll come out and help you". So he came out and together we tried to figure out my wonderful new jack - no it wasn't because I am a woman - it was the jack and instructions. He figured it out and showed me how to use it - just in case I ever need to again. Then he told me to go into the building to get warm and call my job to let them know I will soon be in but will be late. Some men are still gentlemen, I was very greatful. Then he proceeded to work on my car as I called my boss - he was very nice too. I called my friend and notified him that he did not need to come to my rescue and told him what had happened. He stated the following "Make sure to offer to pay him and if he doesn't accept tell him God Bless you." Take care sweety and talk to you later. Yeah he's always talked to me like that kind of fatherly advise but love him for it.


Went back out to supervise - you know the guy wouldn't let me help so I'm just standing there. Anyway, while I am out there, shivering another guy comes up and asks for some money for a bus pass. The gentleman working on my car stated that he would but his wallet is inside - did they not have any bus passes y inside (City Mission folks). The guy stated no they were out of them and off he went into the cold with his suit case and it looked like some kind of instrument. So now my curiosity is up and I state "I didn't know that bus passes were given out," after all I work downtown I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped and asked for money for the bus. The gentleman stated yes they give them out to men who are in the men's program. OK intreasting information to know, I will be filing this one away.


Anyway with some mishaps my car's tire was changed. The gentleman who changed it was very courteous, nice and helpful and a God send to me this morning. I offered him $10.00 for the work he did and he would not take it and I even asked him to give it the the mission. This is what he stated to me - "Keep the money you will repay this back in your own way somehow. God guided you to this place this morning for reason's unknown to both you and I." Wow!!!!! Deep real deep.


Now it was 9 degree's outside the wind was blowing and it was cold - I was outside in the elements for maybe 45 min to 1 hour and able to go inside to get warm about 3 to 4 times. I thought about all of the homeless people and how awful to be out in the elements. Now mind you some people don't ask for this it just happens, and even if they are picking up a bottle or on drugs - you know they are human and their life is just as important as anyone elses. You never know what goes on in a course of another's life and who am I to judge, but you know this morning really made me think. I have a lot to be thankful for, really a lot. Now right now things are tight for me, but they will get better - I know I am being tested - the devil is always testing.
However, I know I am a people pleaser and I know I like to give or help out to those in need. Sometimes I manage to help out others only to hurt myself and I usually get in way too deep before I realize how hard I've hurt myself. Stupid I know and yeah it hurts and right now I am trying so hard not to hate. You know it hurts when it's hard to breath and you are constantly trying to fight away the tears at every given moment. Right now I am asking for God's strength and trying so hard not to dwell in the pain - just trying to get out of the mess I have created for myself.


But you know the other side of the coin is - maybe I am going about all this incorrectly. Hind sight about life's lesson's I guess - I don't know. Anyway, at some point I would like to rebuild back and I know this will be a one day at a time process. I know the Lord brings you to your knees at times so you can see the light - it's shinning right in my face - time for me to act... which brings me back to the start, the reminders I needed that this morning. Good Lord I really did, the reminder was good for me and goes along with what I have been thinking recently. My problem was I was so busy trying to help a friend in need, that I forgot what was most important in life - well my eye is back on the important thing in life. Funny thing is I knew the whole time, I knew and each day I asked the Lord for forgiveness...

No comments: